According to the Irish Examiner’s “The 6 emotional stages of moving house”, the third stage of moving house is Stress! They point out the stress and even anxiety of packing everything soon turns to panic as you run out of time. This is very common but there are ways to minimise that stress and move as quickly as you can to stage 6 – relief!
So how can you manage this process effectively and who can help?
The organised home ‘mover’ will have already decluttered and have a task list written up for the big move. This will have identified what is being moved and what is being dumped. The large majority of home movers will leave everything to the last minute and then panic. So here are our tips on how this can all be managed in a way to reduce stress levels:
1. Start the declutter and spring clean early: Depending on the size of the house and how many memories are being packed, this should all be done well in advance of moving day.
2. Get boxing: Get the storage boxes and bubble wrap and organise items into specific boxes. Buying value bundles of packing materials can save up to 20% of the cost.
3. Get in the professionals: It is just not possible to do 100 shuttle runs to move a lifetime of belongings. An experienced van and driver will ensure safety of your belongings. If you need to store bulky items temporarily, Barons Self Storage provides a free van and driver to collect these items and store them until you are ready to move them into your new house.
4. Take your time: The urge will be to get everything done immediately but it is not realistic. A move will take days and even weeks to be completed. Have a survival kit on the day with cold drinks and snacks and take the odd break for lunch or dinner.
5. Focus on the positive: Acceptance is key for getting through this process, accepting it will be stressful, it will take time and our lives will be disrupted for some time. But be reminded of why we are moving, which could be a better place, a better area, somewhere to call our own or just a new start. There are always positives if we look for them.
6. Relief: Once you know your items are packed and stored in a safe space, the relief will ensure that all the stress was worth it.
We at Barons Self Storage offer a great range of moving packs to help you ensure you have all that you need for your move. Make sure you check out our full range of packs that will suit your moving needs.
Contact us today if you are moving to a new house and need storage units. One of our onsite storage professionals is available now on 091 771325 (Galway) or 061 577 700 (Limerick) to chat about your options.