There are many benefits to decluttering, some less obvious that others. According to a study in Australia, you will eat more junk food in a cluttered environment (!!) and another study by researchers at Yale University used brain scans to show that for some people, throwing out objects activates a part of the brain that’s also responsible for processing pain. However, the benefits of a clear, decluttered living space are many and they are both mental and physical.
The Mayo Clinic suggested that decluttering your space could make you happier and healthier and feel less stressed. The decluttering guru Marie Kondo believes that “Tidying can transform your life” and while this may seem like a very bold statement, there is no doubt it is an exercise worth doing.
There are several things to be considered once you decide to start. Should you keep, discard, donate or store? What are my options for each? Here are some of our helpful tips to guide you through decluttering and, possibly even reduce your stress!
– Identify what is clutter and what is not – best not to buy the boxes or space you need until you know what you are storing or discarding. Storage units are flexible in size and you pay by the space so being aware of what you need is important.
– Know that this is a process not a ‘once off’ – If you do not hoard in the first place, you will have less to declutter but if you are way beyond that point, then make this exercise, something you do 2-3 times a year and not just a once off event.
– Remove things that have no use even if they were expensive. If something does not improve your life, then it is just gets in the way and needs to go. Being ruthless is essential. In any case, if your valuable items are going into storage, they is not gone forever and available when you need them again anytime.
– Be clever when using storage units – Make sure that the space you require is planned. This keeps cost at a minimum and allows for easier access in the future. For long-term storage, choose boxes correctly (light items in big boxes, heavy items in smaller boxes). This will ensure that all boxes can be lifted safely. They make the most of your space while keeping your stuff protected.
– Ensure that your storage is organised into items that are similar. You will be thankful you did this when you go to look for something months or years later. Documents in one box, clothes in another etc.
How can we at Barons Self Storage help?
At Barons Self-Storage, we have flexible storage options. Our units’ range in size from 10 sq ft to 1,000 sq ft+, so you can choose a unit that will accommodate all your items. We have flexible duration options and no hidden fees. If your plans change, we can adapt. We have offers for new customers and discounts for long stays.
You will be the keyholder for your unit and you can access your belongings at any time during opening hours — many of our stores can arrange 24-hour access, 7 days a week.
Get in touch
Contact us today in Galway and Limerick to see how we can help your business get through these turbulent times. Our team is experienced in dealing with your storage problems and we can develop a low-cost plan to suit.
Contact us on 091 771325 (Galway) or 061 577 700 (Limerick).